Big Trouble in Little Japan

The internet is a magical land fueled by Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown)

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

yes, I am still in Japan

Ah, Japan in early February. The school is coming near its end (late march, and the next one begins in April) and its still pretty damn cold outside. The temperature is actually beginning to rise I think, but I feel like the wind is picking up to make for it. That's really almost worse when a bike is still your main form of transportation.
A few things on my mind at the moment. First, I'm going to Sapporo tomorrow! I'll be there for 3 days and four nights with Aussie Amber, where we'll be staying with my friend from college Mari. I'm lucky to have a friend up that way, as the Yuki Matsuri (snow festival) is one of the most famous in Japan and would probably be too difficult and expensive for me to figure out by myself. Thank you mari! I'll be sure to put some pictures up afterwards (I'll be back on Monday).
However in order to do this I'm being super devious and planning ahead to be sick on Friday so I can catch my Thursday night flight. I have a pretty limited number of vacation days, and because i have to use those even when there's no class, I want to save them for big trips. Plus I've never taken a sick day in my 6 months here. This normally wouldn't make me think twice, except there's been a touch of drama at my school lately, and more pressure has been put on me to actually be responsible. One of my coteachers is apparently seriously ill, and on top of that, pregnant (though the last part is a secret, hush hush). I was told she may have "neuralgia," which according to my medical expert knowledge (wikipedia) is associated with some of the worse pain a human can experience. Wow. Anyway she is out for quite some time, and I'm told that they "may" get a teacher to replace her for the rest of this school year. So now there is only me and another assistant teacher to do every first year student class (15 a week maybe?). Not a big deal but this assistant seems to have a fear of teaching alone. But i'll be leaving her on her own this Friday. I hope she can find it in her heart to forgive me.
There's actually been other "drama" at work as well, but to be honest it's all a bit abstract to me when everything is in Japanese. I can usually pick out what is being talked about, but generally not what they're actually saying. Plus, I work with mostly younger women who perhaps see the young foreigner male as the ideal person to gossip and practice English with. In that way office behavior seems pretty universal...
Besides all this, a part of me is still thinking about home, and Pennsylvania. My parents are, as usual, hatching a devious plan. Is there no stop to their scheming? I'll be sure to let you know how the plot goes when I have more information.
So for now I'll just leave with an "I'm off to Sapporo!" But my love to all, even if they don't really want it.
Aaron

4 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I`m sooooo excited. I also got a call about that resevation next week... there is no toilet in our room :( We have to use the one down the corridor... I don`t know why I wrote that here... I could tell you on the plane this arvo... but I have class now... Gomen... I`m stupid, this cold wind has frozen my brain.
BUT I`M SOOOOOO EXCITED!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

in case noone knows what she's talking about, i'm going to a ryokan (japanesey inn) in Gunma(where I live) in just a week and a half to appease amber and her hippie friends. And because Australians talk funny. :)

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want your rudding love, you sodding carbuncle. What is best way for us to maintain correspondence/reignite our forbidden passion? I no longer wish to learn of your life through augury and book reports (about non-books); my hands are bloody with the entrails of geese and disease-weakened pigeons and my eyes tire from trying to glean information from your so-called "blog." Must I start a blog? Are we evolving to a state without mouths but ethernet jacks in their stead? There are a million blinking lights; they all say "on" or "off." If I were to start a blog I would name it "Mr Toad's Wild Ride" until Disney sued me and took my sole possession: geese entrails. Oh, and I also have a copy of Thriller on vinyl somewhere--they'd probably take that, too.

Love,
Christopher.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger NealSwisher said...

your life is so exciting, aaron.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home