Big Trouble in Little Japan

The internet is a magical land fueled by Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown)

Monday, August 14, 2006

shit... a name that any girl will want

I believe those were the words on the back of a teenage girls t-shirt that was biking in front of me today. I biked all over these last few days, and at least half of that time was spent not entirely sure where i was. At least there are a few noticeable landmarks that i can keep my eye out for: the ubermodern skyscraper that doesn't fit in with any other building in Takasaki, the big yellow pachinko tower closer towards my place, and, though rarely, a road is sometimes even marked or named. I don't know how japanese people zip around in their little cars all the time, as almost no roads are named, and the numbers on the major routes constantly change, and there are many repeating numbers on different roads in the same area. Again, i know theres some sort of organization to all of this, because this country lives to organize things. Exactly how is beyond me though.
I have benefited from the junk that mass consumerism produces here, as i got a bunch of furniture pretty cheap, and snagged a bunch of good stereo equipment that someone put near a dumping site. Its a little old, but seems to work fine. I can't wait to use it and freak out my square neighbors who stare at me wherever i go. I probably shouldn't complain, since i'm using one of their wireless internet connections this very moment. I won't keep this long, because though i have many observations, both joyous and frustrating, about my little town in japan, I do know how seriously they take rules and laws. For all i know the Kamakura family this very moment may be angrily phoning neighbors and police. Not being japanse already attracts enough attention to myself, as does my beard and my attempts at riding my bike everywhere. Maybe even one day i'll have a phone and internet connection of my own, both of which i'm more than happy to pay for (more than willing lets say). Ah well, another day forward, hopefully in the direction of some information that may shed some light on my present or future life that is as yet a mystery to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home