Big Trouble in Little Japan

The internet is a magical land fueled by Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown)

Monday, February 19, 2007

secret sapporo

Sapporo is actually a little bit of a secret for me, because I didn't tell any of my coworkers that I went. I used sick leave to get there, so I decided telling them that I traveled so far on the same weekend that I was "sick" was perhaps not the best move. But I'm 22 and I'm in Japan and I think it's more important for me to see some pretty Japanese things then to make sure I assist with every single English class for a bunch of 13 year olds who don't really want to learn English.
Anyway, it was great. There was plenty of snow, and it was pretty cold, though the locals told us there was less snow and it was warmer than usual. It was snowing more often than not while we were there though, which I imagine is pretty standard February weather in Hokkaido.
I'll give a rough sketch of what we did before showing you some pictures:
Amber and I flew in to Sapporo on Thursday night, and we met with mate from college, Mari. It was the first time I had seen her in almost three years, but we were happy friendly and chatty the whole time anyway. It helps that she's naturally chirpy and happy (and eccentric) and that her English is phenomenal. We took it easy that night and happily slept in Mari's little tiny "mini-mini" apartment. The next day we had some famous Hokkaido soup-curry, and made it to the famous Sapporo snow festival. I don't know if anyone reading this may think that something like "famous Hokkaido soup-curry" sounds odd, but there is something odd about the way the Japanese approach food. They are obsessed with it in many ways. Every region has its "famous" food, though perhaps only the people in that region actually know what that is. I'm not sure if everyone in Japan knows about how "famous" soup curry is in Sapporo, but talking to some locals might make you think that the whole world knows about it.
But I distract myself. The snow festival was really cool, though I think walking around Sapporo did a number on Amber, who had never been in such a cold place before, and never seen anywhere near that much snow before. Actually, in Australia now its still summer, and I bet she couldn't stop thinking about the 100+ temperatures back home as we walked around in Sapporo where the temperature was probably in the teens or twenties at the most. Guess you can take an Aussie out of Australia, but you can't take the Australian out of an Aussie.
We met some of Mari's friends at a small nearby bar that night before hitting the hay (which actually makes more literal sense as a saying in Japan, since tatami is kind of like hay...). Mari asked me to pierce her ear with some Japanese do-it-yourself ear piercing kit, but I actually said no because I didn't trust myself jamming a hole through her skin. So she asked Amber, and a few possibly awkward moments later, Mari happily had a few more holes in her ear. What a bonding experience. The next day we did some sleeping in, walking around, and went to a "restaurant" where the toothless owner somewhat drunkenly prepared us an impressive multi-course meal of various french and Japanese influences. He also let us help ourselves to his stash of spirits and chocolate, and even gave me a massage at my seat, hoping that I feel good about Japan (or something like that, I couldn't understand a word that came out of his toothless mouth). It was a really odd experience that I feel would be difficult to duplicate outside of this country. That night Mari's friend drove and walked us around Sapporo's night life district and a park that overlooks the city. The park was really icy and slippery. Mari fell as we made our way up some "stairs" (now a snow ramp), and as I valiantly came to rescue her, I slipped and fell on my ass as well.
The next day was spent in Otaru, a nearby town famous for its lantern lined waterway, glass, and music boxes. Mari told me she thinks that maybe some of the scenery from "Spirited Away" was maybe taken from that area, and I would certainly believe that. It was really pretty, though even colder than Sapporo and obviously a tourist hot spot.
Our last night Mari adorably organized a little going away party for me and Amber. She actually told us to wait at her apartment and relax before going to her friends house, but we told her we were fine and ready to go. So she said she actually had to talk to her friend, who was having some problems lately. This was just a lie to give her some time, but her friend was a little frustrated that her excuse involved a story of how he has issues. aww. But he was seeking his postgraduate degree in theoretical mathematics, so in my mind there must be something wrong with him. But, like all of Mari's friends, he was really nice and interesting. It was actually good to meet young, interesting Japanese people, even if I could barely communicate with most of them because of my poor Japanese. Here in Gunma there seems to be a bit of a dearth of young people. Seems like the moment they're old and able enough, they go to Tokyo, or another major city. People not from around here often have to think a bit before remembering exactly where Gunma is, and for some reason always confuse it with Ibaraki, a nearby prefecture that is similarly seen as nothing more than a mix of Tokyo suburbanites and country bumpkins.
Anyway, I've bored you so much now that you deserve some pictures:
Here's Mari and Amber in front of the famous clock tower of Sapporo. Mari says its perhaps most famous for being such a disappointing attraction.
Here's a big ape with a little ape on its lap ice sculpture. Probably would've been even prettier at night...
This is a big ice/snow sculpture based on some animation shorts by Katsuhiro Otomo, the same guy who made Akira. These shorts are, funny enough, used to advertise "cup noodle" products, though they don't actually seem to use the instant noodles in the animation.
Here's Mari presenting us with a weird sculpture that maybe is from a popular anime called "deathnote." All the rage with the kids these days.
Here's an amazing sculpture of a Japanese castle. It's practically big enough to be a building in and of itself. Really impressive...
Here's a picture of that waterway in Otaru that I mentioned above. It's lined with old factories and warehouses, some of which seemed to be used to house eating and drinking establishments.
Another picture of the waterway, with the snowy path beside it.
Here's someone lowering lanterns into the water. He has a child-sized and shaped mannequin of some sort on his back. I have no idea why...
Here's snow-elf Mari in front of a little tiny fireworks show we stumbled across in Otaru. Pretty pretty pretty...
can't really see her but here's Amber in front of some pretty ice candle holders in the snow.
Here they are launching a few small fireworks. Cute.
I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't take more pictures, but Amber and Mari took so many I guess I didn't feel pressure to snap away on my own. I'll get their images as well, and share any that I think are especially cute.
Sorry for being so slow and late. This past weekend was nice as well, as I got to see another pretty Japanese ryokan (inn) and bathe in a fancy onsen (hot spring). I'll show some pretty pictures and write about it shortly, but I'm tired and have a bit of a cold tonight. So goodnight, and stay warm in America, which appears to be much colder than it is here in Gunma (I think Hokkaido might be colder though...).
Oyasumi!

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger shrinkrap said...

well how about some more blog/pix

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

how about some pictures of mookie on YOUR blog?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home