Big Trouble in Little Japan

The internet is a magical land fueled by Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown)

Monday, October 16, 2006

生活

Nothing like a small city festival to remind me that I am, in fact, in Japan. I suppose in some ways the festivals here are not so different from festivals back home (i'm thinking luzerne country fair mostly, because that's what I know) in that people cram around one area with their family, eat tons of fried, sugar, and chocolate coated foods that are probably not prepared in a sanitary manner. Both countries even revel in playing silly games that end up with kids winning little fishes or animals that will probably die in about 3 days. Of course in America there's a lot less squid on a stick, huge octopus tentacles pouring out of baskets, or groups of a few dozen men and women hoisting "mikoshis" (the shriney things in the pictures below) while drunkenly shouting and chanting.
One of my favorite parts of wandering around aimlessly at this festival was the elementary school marching bands, for two reasons. 1. It was one of the cutest things i've ever seen. 2. I was just so blown away that dozens, maybe hundreds of these kids (8-11 yrs old i guess) seemed perfectly organized and incredibly competent in their respective instruments as they marched through an incredibly crowded city square numerous times. They also seemed to do this with apparently no supervision or direction. Both me and amber, my wandering partner, agreed that this would be impossible among American or Australian children, and would inevitably turn into anarchic cacophony. Still difficult to wrap my mind around...
Of course this led me to think about other silly differences and similarities, though I know that's a ridiculous and pointless diversion for the most part. But, well, I have a lot of time. One thing especially struck me from the festival, and in general. Before I came and maybe now still a little, I sort of imagined the "Takasaki - Maebashi area" as the "Wilkes-Barre - Scranton area" of Japan. By this I mean more or less two functional cities that in the end are only that, and not that much else. Both sets of cities are a tiny bit out of the way, but still relatively convenient to major cities, and are not exactly considered major hubs of creativity or industry. Lots of people live in suburbs (including me) and almost everyone gets around by driving. But the differences outweigh the similarities. I can't imagine Wilkes Barre or Scranton lighting up for 2 nights in a year, where 100,000 or more people cram into the center city area, and happily march, sing, drink, play music, picnic, and celebrate the culture of the surrounding area (even if maybe a little superficially, though how else can "culture" be "celebrated" I suppose). It would be impossible. Right off the bat, where would everyone park? Who would provide all the security (youd need a lot)? How bout the preparation and cleannup? Maybe i'm being cynical, but I imagine many problems with a giant center city Wilkes Barre festival.
But the festival in maebashi (and in Takasaki about two months ago) seemed to go off without even the slightest of issues, and both were flawlessly cleaned up by the next morning without incident. I'd be embarrassed to show a native Takasaki-ite either Wilkes Barre or Scranton after making my comparisons, because those American cities have such massive problems compared to the cities I now live between. Large parts of Wilkes Barre are disgusting, not to mention massively poor and somewhat dangerous. Same kind of idea in Scranton, but to a lesser extent. The urban residents seem mostly stuck in a city that provides few public services, and almost all middle or upper class families have escaped to the suburbs where their white kids get bored, do drugs, drive around, and eventually move out.
Takasaki and Maebashi might not be thriving centers of creativity and innovation, but they don't have these problems, and I'm not sure any place in Japan does. I'm a little out of my element here because I still understand so little of my surroundings. I'm just an outside observer, and barely even that seeing as how I don't really understand their language.
Doesn't mean I can't enjoy myself and look at the pretty colors though:




Bright shiny mikoshi

look at the stare that girl is giving me...

Tell me that's not cute

Oh if only I could've won that beetle

everyone loves having their picture taken. And having their name pronounced with a thick American accent. Especially Amber.

I have no idea why they're dressed like maids. Just to be cute and little I guess?
a quiet covered street near the festival. To me the biggest mystery of Japan: no garbage cans, but also no garbage.

1 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Amba. My name is AMBAA.. Get rid of that 'er" <-- This only applies to Americans. I don't know why they can take such a nice name and FUCK IT UP. Sasuga America!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home