Big Trouble in Little Japan

The internet is a magical land fueled by Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown)

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Australian Spring

I think for the first time this year I feel confident saying that it is really spring. Sure, the cherry blossoms were blooming a few weeks ago, but only in the past week or so has it been warm with any consistency. It's made the all-important leap from "cold with occasional warm days" to "warm with occasional cool days." All the more important in apartments and workplaces with no central heating (or air conditioning, which will likely be an issue in not long at all).

I haven't written in about two weeks, gomen. For a while, I really didn't have much to report really. I had a very boring week at school, and my actual work load is only beginning this week. My supervisor, after initially being reluctant to work out an unpaid leave deal for the summer, came up to me again and said he would see what he can do. Of course that was a few weeks ago and he has not responded since, despite my occasional nosiness. However after my brush with going to work during this past spring break, I've decided whether I am granted leave or not that I CAN'T work through another school vacation. I am expected to come into school everyday, even when there are no classes, and there is absolutely no work for me to do. My Japanese is no where near adequate enough to perform some basic life matters, much less school meetings and bureaucratic matters. So I come late, study Japanese, goof off (I was told what a good little doodler I was TWICE during this time), and leave a little early. A few days of this is fine as I can gather my head and a few lesson plans and whattnot, but more than that is mind-numbing and I think I'm too young to waste my days behind a desk in some dusty office with fluorescent lights and a heavily censored internet connection.
This could mean a few different things. If I were to go home this summer for as long as I'd like (about a month), and given no leave, I'd start a new term with close to zero vacation days. I don't think that's a viable option. I could just TELL them what I'm doing, and see what happens (getting fired is probably just as likely as getting no reaction and being silently thought of as a pain in the ass). OR I could tell them that this year will be my last with JET (my current program), and good luck and thanks for all the fish. A part of me still wants to spend at least a little bit longer in Japan, so I could bring back things like a broader knowledge of Japanese, and have time to line something up back home. In this case, I could go wherever. There are a lot of English teaching jobs in Japan, and they are particularly easy to get when you already live in Japan with a Visa and have at least some clue as to how to get around. As far as pocketing cash goes, my current program may be best, but I'd rather not spend these days contemplating job security. This is a crazy place and I've still got more to learn about it. In the meantime I have to keep an eye on my own life as well, and make sure I'm actually doing what I want to be doing.
But that's not always an easy thing to figure out. Friends and family are very much appreciated for their support, whatever crazy thing I decide to do next. Even if I don't give any very easy explanations. Or even if they have to give me more money :)

But enough alone in my apartment rambling. I just spent some time with another of Amber's Aussie buddies, a (someday) rockstar from Melbourne named Daniel. Together, we took Tokyo for what it was worth.
These "free hugs" guys are all over Japanese cities lately, and perhaps other places as well? Daniel says the trend started in Australia. But all Australians think every trend secretly started in Australia.

This was the most reluctant hug I've ever received. She did not act like she wanted to touch me, and maybe you can see from the picture that she barely did. Japanese people aren't very touchy-feely, I realize that, but she was holding a FREE HUGS sign. And I know I'm a foreigner, but not a very intimidating one, and if you stand at that spot in Shinjuku, Tokyo for just a few minutes you'll see plenty of really weird people, Japanese and gaijin a like. I left my "free hug" feeling like I just molested someone who didn't expect it at all. Maybe if I were Japanese I would've known a "free hugs" sign is meant to be admired, rather than tested.
All that said, this guy seemed better. But still not really that into it.
Here's a guy outside of yoyogi park doing a little dance. His little pamphlet said something about life's absurdity and downright stupidity, just look at him. But despite the seemingly meaningless and dumb aspects of life on this planet, it can be fun, and even beautiful.
Here are some of the famous rockabillies of Yoyogi park. They're a little old, and can't dance very well. But well, they give it their all.
I'm not sure if some of the pictures I've put on this blog have given you this impression or not, but Japanese people, and Tokyoites in particular, can be ridiculous. This is a totally absurd motorcycle and rider in Shibuya.
A totally ridiculous building in Shibuya. Some weird fusion of HR Geiger and Gaudi, with a touch of faceless modernism. And because this is Japan, the first floor or two (whole building?) is a Disney Store, and the cheesy plastic castle adorns the entranceway.

Amber's friends are having a big Aussie gathering this weekend, so I may get to hear more funny talk than I've ever heard before, which I am really looking forward to. I hope they know there's no bbq or beach though...
I'll be sure to post pictures of their hilarious reaction.
Also, I now have a flickr account. All I have up there for now is pictures from Thailand, but I will intermittently update. http://www.flickr.com/photos/eilmo1
I'll let you know.

Enjoy
Aaron

4 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I checked out this "free hugs" thing... and sure enough it does look like it started in Sydney. I believe that would be Sydney AUSTRALIA. Now I know you secretly thought... “Yeah whatever you fuddy duddy Aussies reckon!... Of course it started in America somewhere... all great acts of kindness, love and world happiness DO, but I wont say it to these hillbillies faces coz they’ll kick my seppo arse. I'll just make a series of racist comments about Australians inability to make themselves understood by Pennsylvanians on my blog." But just for the record it did start in Australia - I swear, wikipedia never lies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Hugs_Campaign

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the orginal video with soundtrack from the sick puppies it very sweet. Bit of a tear jerker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Elliott said...

Aaron, you bastard, you better not quit JET, just when I'm finally going to make it to Japan. Seriously. I'm getting on this NOVA thing, and I expect to see you when I touch down on the home islands.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger NealSwisher said...

I saw Acid Mothers Temple last night. Fucking most intense shit i have ever seen.

A) my ears are still ringing
B) They talk like aliens
C)They played for about 2 hours, continuously (they stopped between "songs" maybe twice). Then came out for a half hour encore.
D)Besides their crazy space-out jams that made me feel like I was in another world, they also sang Frank Sinatra-style old crooner songs. They were making sort-of the right sounds of the lyrics, but it was certainly not english.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home