Big Trouble in Little Japan

The internet is a magical land fueled by Angels and Demons (by Dan Brown)

Sunday, October 07, 2007

What happened?

I've been asked this question a fair amount lately, along with the Japanese equivalent, "doushitan no?" I suppose it's not an exact translation, but it generally conveys the surprise expressed at my lengthy beard. I let my beard grow out in America, and just never really got around to shaving it off again, so it remains attached to my face like a beautiful forest. Or a prickly pear in human form, or a dead rat with sticky tape, however you want to look at it.
I took this picture of myself at the Louis Vuitton Store in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Those sunglasses were selling for around 500 dollars I believe? I told Amber for my birthday that I wanted a Louis Vuitton wallet, one that half hangs out of my back pocket, spilling over with cash, just like so many Japanese guys. If that ever really happens, then I'll know I've been in Japan too long. Even people out in Gunma all own Vuitton crap, with the lame brand markings plastered over every inch of their lame products. But its an easy way to show you dropped a lot of money on something pointless and pretty, which must be a big plus in at least some peoples eyes. Else why would every single damned Japanese person buy this stuff?

But my beard is going pretty well, eh? I told Amber I'm going to grow it until someone at work tells me that it's inappropriate and I should cut it. I bet my workplace is nonconfrontational enough to wait till it gets PRETTY big. This worries and upsets Amber a lot, so I won't let it get that big. But at least until a halloween party so I can do something silly.
After telling Amber this, I wondered if maybe this was a bad sign about my feelings toward work. I have to admit I have mixed feelings. On one hand, it's getting easier to plan lessons and stand in front of the students and make worksheets and picture cards and all that other crap that language teachers have to do. I can read the silly school schedules so I'm not totally surprised when I show up to school and instead of classes everyone is playing volleyball for 7 hours. I'm genuinely friends with my co-worker Mika.
But the same frustrations I wrote about many months ago still apply for the most part. I teach an "international understanding" class, which has no curriculum or sylabus, no tests and no grades. But I'm the teacher and I'm supposed to teach in all English, with a Japanese teacher. Last year, the Japanese teacher was my friend and although a little over-the-top emotional she controlled the class. It was her class, and I just helped. The new teacher is a tiny mousey woman seemingly afraid of every student, and spends the classes in the corner or trying to control a problem student by lightly whispering at them. This class, which I spend almost 5 hours a week teaching has slowly descended into nothing, as the number of students who don't care (why should they?) outnumber, or at least out-voices the ones who do. In a class of 36 or more 14yr olds from a slightly backwoodsy area in mountainy japan, what can you do?

But even I can only complain for so long, so lets continue.

Since my last post, at least a few things have happened. I think the best of these things was Amber's birthday, which we celebrated in the mountains of a nearby prefecture, and the uber famouse attraction/city/world heritage, Nikko. There are pictures on facebook, Amber's flickr, and my computer. As soon as I update my flickr (with a fancy pro account even?) I'll consolidate. Individually uploading pictures onto this blog is a little time-consuming...

More recently, Amber and I went into Tokyo to watch her friend's band, "The Basics" play at a small venue. We did this about a month ago as well, though it was even more fun this time. Funny enough, the first time I met Amber I asked if she had heard of the band "Gotye," because I had just downloaded a few of their tracks and heard they were getting big in Australia. Her response was "Wally?" I said, "no, Gotye." But she meant Wally, the man behind "Gotye," who was an acquaintence of hers. He's also the drummer and a singer in the Basics. They had a pretty tight sound, and you can find stuff of theirs on the web. I still preferred Gotye to be honest though. Amber has all the pictures from this night, so check out her flickr page, (her username is shesamurai). I had so much fun, but felt a little out place among those rockabillies, who had their uniform down to the tee. The greased hair, leather jackets, tight jeans, vintage bowler shoes, and lots of twist moves. My standard neutral color comfy clothes are not rockabilly material I've decided. I'll have to totaly redo my wardrobe before the next trip.

I've got more to say and show of course, but I'll publish this now to appease a few impatient people :) Look for more though. I will update sooner this time. I promise.

Az

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home